You’ve been dating your boyfriend for a few months now, and things are going well between the two of you. However, whenever you make plans together, your boyfriend will invite his friends, too.
Most of the time, you don’t mind hanging out with his friends occasionally, but lately, it feels like you barely get any one-on-one time together because there’s always a group around.
So why does your boyfriend always bring his friends along on your dates, and what can you do about it?
Why Does My Boyfriend Always Invite His Friends?
Here is why your boyfriend always invite his friends over even when you don’t like it:
1. He May Be Unsure About the Relationship
One possibility is that your boyfriend isn’t totally confident in the relationship yet, so he feels more comfortable having his friends around for support.
Especially if you two haven’t been dating that long, he may still feel nervous about being alone with you and want the security of having his buddies there.
This doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t like you – it’s just that the relationship is still new, and he leans on his friends for confidence as he navigates dating you.
As your connection deepens, he’ll likely become more comfortable with private time together.
2. He Values His Social Life
For some people, friends are a huge priority. If your boyfriend is one of those people, it makes sense that he would consistently invite his friends along to hang out with you two.
He probably wants to incorporate his friends into as much of his life as possible, including his romantic relationship.
It’s great that he has close friendships he values, but the downside is less one-on-one time for you as a couple.
3. He May Be Avoiding Intimacy
While not the most positive possibility, your boyfriend always invites friends because it helps him avoid real intimacy with you.
Being alone together means opening up, having deeper conversations, and taking the next steps physically and emotionally.
Some subconsciously use friends as a buffer to avoid intimacy and vulnerability. This may happen if you notice that your quality time always stays surface-level with his friends in tow.
4. He’s Oblivious to Your Needs
Lastly, the simplest explanation is that your boyfriend doesn’t realize how much this bothers you.
Some people are completely oblivious to their partner’s needs and assume everything is fine if their significant other doesn’t speak up.
It’s totally possible your boyfriend invites friends along because he thinks you’re cool with it and enjoys the group hangs, unaware of how much one-on-one time you crave.
What You Can Do About It
What steps can you take if your boyfriend chronically brings uninvited friends around? Here are some tips:
- Communicate your needs. Have an open and honest talk where you explain your need for more quality time alone together. Don’t accuse him of anything, explain how you feel.
- Compromise. Ask for set date nights that are strictly just the two of you. He can still see friends on other days.
- Get to know his friends. Making an effort to build relationships with his friends yourself can make group hangs more enjoyable.
- Spend time together away from your normal hangouts. Go on dates in places you wouldn’t run into his friends, like out of town.
- Plan dates that aren’t conducive to groups. Things like couples cooking classes or minigolf make it awkward to invite others along.
- Speak up in the moment. When he invites friends where you’d rather be alone, politely say you hoped it could be just the two of you this time.
The most important things are communicating your needs clearly and finding a compromise that allows you both to have your social needs met.
You can find the right balance with understanding and effort on both your parts.
It’s annoying when it feels like your boyfriend’s friends are always tagging along on your dates.
But try to empathize with where he’s coming from, and speak up for your needs. You can strike the right balance in your relationship with compromise and candor.
For more advice columns about dating and relationships, be sure to explore Elizegan.com!
Why Does My Boyfriend Holler at Women Walking By?
Why Does My Boyfriend Sexually Tease Me and Then Say He’s Too Tired?
17 Emotional Questions to Ask a Cheating Partner
Why Does My Boyfriend Like to Put My Shoes On?
10 Smart Questions to Ask a Girl to Get to Know Her Better